The Panamanian permanent residence is a very sought-after migration status with many benefits. Below we summarize the process for you to follow with your immigration attorney.
Step 1: Temporary Residence (after 6 months):
- Visit Panama to start the process (a week more or less) and get the first ID (carnet)
- Application can take until 6 months to get approved by Migracion but normally takes 2-3 months
- Once approved, a second visit (always around a week) is necessary to take the picture and get the temporary ID for the first 2 years
Step 2: Permanent Residence (after 2 years):
- After the first 2 years, the applicant is eligible for a permanent residence status
- The applicant needs to visit Panama twice and repeat the same process, they did for the temporary ID
- After a maximum of 6 months (usually 2-3), the Tribunal Electoral hands out the permanent ID (cedula)
Step 3: Naturalization – Citizenship (after 5 years):
- The applicant will be eligible for a Panamanian citizenship 5 years after starting step two
- They will have to take an exam about Panamanian history at Tribunal Electoral
- Approval after 45 days by Sección de Naturalización
- Issueing new ID card, naturalization letter and passport
Our Agrorismo combo investment of a productive hydroponic greenhouse and an eco mountain lot will set you up for the fast track for this process. Please download our brochure here for more info.